1 Honey Dew melon
4 cups of Water
3 cups of Sugar
1 cup of Orange flavored Tequila liquor
2 Star Anise
Course Sea Salt (optional)
Chili powder (optional)
1. Combine the water, sugar, star anise and cloves in a sauce pan on medium heat until sugar has dissolved, remove from heat and allow to cool.
2. Cut melons into large 1.5in slices and use a Parisian scoop (a.k.a melon baller) to scoop out the balls.
3. Once the sugar-water has cooled, add the melon balls and tequila then place in the fridge over night.
4. Remove the melon from the liquid and place one ball of each color on a toothpick and serve.
5. (Optional) before serving, mix the chili powder and salt together and sprinkle over the top.
– When slicing the melons, be prepared with paper towels and some kind of kitchen surface cleaner to clean up as soon as you finish this step, or prepare to enjoy a sticky floor and counter space.
– You can buy Parisian scoops of all sizes but remember to get toothpicks that are proportional to the scooped melon.
– You can substitute the toothpicks for shot glasses and turn them into shooters by adding some of the liquid to each one.
– Don’t leave the melon in the liquid longer than 48hrs, the melon will start to rot.