– A hearty and tasty soup, great for lunch or dinner
1 quart Chicken Stock
2 Medium White Onions, diced
3 Garlic cloves, minced
3 lbs Calabasa squash, diced
2 cans(30 oz) of fire roasted tomatoes
2 cans (30 oz) White Hominy
3 dried Ancho Chilies, chopped
2 Chicken breasts, gilled and diced
4 Tbsp Achiote paste dissolved in 1 cup of water
3 Serrano peppers
1 bunch of Cilantro, chopped
1 head of Cabbage, shredded
1. Heat up a medium stock pot then begin to sweat onions and garlic.
2. Once onions are translucent add the Achiote, Serrano, and Ancho chilies to the pot stirring for about 5 min until the Ancho chilies have rehydrated.
3. Add the hominy, tomatoes, squash, and stock and allow to simmer for about 10 min covered or until hominy is tender.
4. Finally add the chicken and cilantro and allow to simmer for another 10 min uncovered, then serve with a nest of cabbage on top.
– You can easily substitute beef for chicken, I would suggest using chuck roast.
– For added heat, I like to add about 2 Tbsp of Sriracha hot sauce.